Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Bacon Wrapped Venison Tenderloin (Backstrap)

 I love my life but some days I just need a vacation from it - I'm sure we ALL feel that way at one time or another.  The weekends are my little vacation times, usually, but it really didn't happen that way this past weekend.  We were way too busy to rest up.  All that being said, I had to make this past Sunday into a little bit of a paradise for my family and me or someone wouldn't have made it to Monday alive (mainly me!).  So between running my daughter to a practice she had and then taking her shopping for her birthday, I didn't have too much time to relax.  We finally were home to stay around 4:00 that afternoon.  I had prepped the backstrap between the two events (I was able to run home for a bit) and then the grilling began.  I must say, this is probably my husband's favorite way that I cook backstrap.  He didn't mind the wait at all!

Bacon Wrapped Venison Tenderloin (Backstrap)

Venison Tenderloin (backstrap) about 2 pounds
1/2 onion, sliced
2 jalapenos, sliced
4 to 6 slices thick bacon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp kosher salt
toothpicks or kitchen string

With a really sharp knife, split the meat about half-way down through the length of the tenderloin.


Place the jalapeno and onion slices in the slit.


Using either toothpicks or kitchen string, seal up the meat around the slices so they won't fall out.


Wrap the bacon around the outside of the meat, securing with toothpicks or kitchen string.


Gather your spices together and mix them well.


Rub the spices on the outside of the bacon.


At this point, if you can't cook it right then, wrap the tenderloin in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.  (I did this for about 3 hours.)

You can determine how you are going to cook this, oven or grill.  We prefer the grill.  I place the meat on a very hot grill so it will sear the bacon.  Watch this step closely because you don't want it to burn.  After the bacon has gotten a little color on it, I move the meat over to the cooler side of the grill and continue cooking.  Depending on the thickness of the meat, it can take about an hour.  


After removing the meat from the grill, tent it with some foil for about 15 minutes before slicing.  This will help keep the juices in the meat.  Enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. Some really good eating. I really appreciate Jenny's cooking skill and want to make special meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris! Very glad that you enjoy what I make :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At what temp and for how long would u put it in the oven for???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably cook it at 325 or 350 until it's done. I can't tell you an exact amount of time since it's going to depend on the size of the backstrap. I would also suggest putting it under the broiler for a bit before taking it out to crisp up the bacon. Let me know how it turns out, would love to have your input!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know your meat cuts... tenderloin is inside the rib cage along the spine. Loin (back strap) is on top of the ribs along the spine...big difference!

    ReplyDelete