Saturday, March 9, 2013

Egg Brunch Pie

Egg Brunch Pie

Not only does my husband hunt, he also has chickens that we use just for eggs.  Well, right now we are in an avalanche of eggs...I mean there's a LOT!!  So, since I don't have much room left for another carton in my refrigerator, I had to do something.  Living in the country, you don't just run to the store when you're out of something and with the price of gas, we definitely consolidate our trips.  Knowing that, I scoured the pantry and the fridge for anything useful to put into an egg dish trying to use some of these eggs up.  This is what I came up with.  I'm betting you can do the same with whatever you have too!




2 potatoes, sliced thin (I used a mandolin)
1/2 cup chopped onions
7 eggs
1/4 cup milk
sliced mushrooms
fresh spinach
chopped sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
5 or 6 slices of lunch meat ham (chopped)
shredded or chopped Swiss cheese
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper 

**Note:  You may want to spray some non-stick cooking spray or use parchment paper.  I use stone bake-ware from Pampered Chef so I don't think about that too much.**

Heat oven to 350.  Put sliced potatoes in the bottom and on the sides of a deep-dish pie plate and cover with the onions.  Place in the oven for about 12 minutes to soften the potatoes a little (this is going to act as your "crust").  In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, flour, and Parmesan cheese.  After you remove the crust from the oven, layer the spinach, mushrooms, meat, Swiss cheese, and sun dried tomatoes.  Pour the egg mixture on top and bake until set.  Depending on the thickness of your potatoes in the "crust", you may have to cook it a little longer to get the right texture.  Mine took about 30 minutes to cook, just keep an eye on it.  It's done when you insert a knife in the middle and it comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment