Saturday, February 9, 2013

OMG Venison Tacos!!

 OMG!  These were so awesome!  I actually had a bunch of poblano peppers that I was trying to find something to do with.  I started looking around and came across a Mexican dish called Chicana.  What I was finding was different on each one so I kinda combined a bunch of them and this is what I came up with....

OMG Venison Tacos

1 pound Venison round steak cut into 1/2" cubes (don't get out the ruler, it's not THAT important!)
1/2 large onion sliced 
3 poblano peppers sliced (I didn't roast them first and peel of the skin - that's for sissies)
2 cloves garlic
2 - 3 tsp flour
salt and pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 cup (or so) of beer
non-stick spray 

Heat a large skillet on medium heat - I used a non-stick and it worked great!  Sprinkle salt, pepper, and the flour on the cubed meat.  When the skillet is pretty warm, spray some non-stick spray in it (or a little olive oil) and put the meat in.  Let it sit for a while, probably about 3 - 4 minutes.  Stir and add the garlic, onion, and peppers.  Stir fry this for about a minute.  Add the canned tomatoes (don't drain), the tomato sauce, cumin, and chili powder.  *Please note, I'm real bad about measuring spices, so if you need to add more/less - DO IT!*  Stir and reduce the heat to low.  Put a lid on it and let it cook for 15 minutes.  Grab yourself a cold beverage and before you drink it, pour about 1/2 cup of it in the skillet.  Stir and cover again.  Let this cook for approximately 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while.  I did have to add beer again a couple of more times.  I wanted it moist, but not soupy.  


This is what it looked like while it was cooking.




The finished OMG moment!

This made quite a bit.  Husband sure won't mind the leftovers, though!




No comments:

Post a Comment