Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sweet and Sour Venison Meatballs

Sweet and Sour Venison Meatballs

I was going through my old recipes and found this.  I made this up a few years ago when I had a little extra time in the summer.  We all love Chinese food in this house, especially my youngest.  She'll get mad at me for saying this (she's fixing to be the ripe old age of 9 on Friday), but she used to call it "hiney foo".  The name has stuck.  It's just too cute not to use!  My oldest daughter also had her moment in the sun, too.  One night while I was making Chinese food, she asked me what we were having for supper.  I told her and she said, "great, I want to eat pork chops!".  I had to say again and again, "no, we're eating Chinese food!".  She was so frustrated telling me she wanted pork chops VERY ADAMANTLY!! Finally, a light bulb (somewhat dim, but it did pop up) came on and I realized she wanted CHOP STICKS :) 

Meatballs
1 pound ground venison
 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 cup minced onion
1 egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs

Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons corn starch
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 can pineapple tidbits
juice from can of pineapple tidbits and water to equal 1 1/2 cups

Mix the first seven ingredients together.  Form small meatballs.  Let rest in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes.  Brown in a pan with a little olive oil.  Drain well on paper towels.  Make sauce out of the next five ingredients EXCEPT for the pineapple.  Place sauce and meatballs into the pot you used before (after draining any fat that was left).  Slowly simmer for about 30 minutes.  Add the amount of pineapple you want the last 5 minutes.  Serve with white or brown rice.
 Originally made with venison, this could easily be made with beef!

Sweet and Sour Venison Meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment