Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Oven Fried Squash Patties

Oven Fried Squash Patties


I haven't written on this blog in quite a while, the Spring Semester at school was uber busy plus all the Spring things that come with living in the country :)  One of those is gardening.  We love fresh veggies and usually have a lot to cook, can, freeze, etc.  This year our squash has gone nuts!  My family loves squash and zucchini grilled, roasted in the oven, sauteed on the stove, stir-fried, and put into spaghetti sauce.  I was running out of ideas.  My husband grew up with fried squash (I did not, my mom always boiled it on the stove).  I was trying to think up a way to make it "fried" without frying it.  This is what I came up with and I was very happy with the results (although next time I'll add one minced jalapeno just because I think it will taste great!).  The down-side, turning on the oven in the heat of the summer, the up-side is there is no frying and minimal oil involved.


3 large yellow squash, shredded and drained between paper towels
1 small onion, minced
1 1/3 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
2 beaten eggs
Non-stick Spray

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  I had to use my hands to mix this, a spoon just didn't cut it!  Form into patties and place on either a well sprayed cookie sheet, one lined with parchment paper, or use a baking stone (I use stones so I don't have to add any additional fat).  Spray the tops of the patties lightly with non-stick spray.  Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.  Turn the patties over and cook another 15 to 20 minutes.  I'm sure you could cook these with less time but I wanted mine crispy!  Take out of oven and let sit for a little while before you eat them...they are hot!!  Enjoy!

Before going in the oven.

After coming out of the oven.  As you can tell, I use my stones for EVERYTHING!!  I have one that's almost black and nothing sticks to them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment