Sunday, March 23, 2014

Zucchini and Squash Soup

Previously (like last summer) I told you about the crazy amount of zucchini and squash we grew in our garden.  I mean CRAZY!!  I still have a lot of it in my freezer and have been needing to get it used up.  Summer is creeping up on us again so I will need the room in the freezer for the next batch of veggies.  All that being said, I've been wanting to try some zucchini soup, but really wasn't thrilled about the recipes I was seeing.  I wanted it creamy but didn't want it laden with fats and cheeses nor did I want any meat in it.  The following recipe is what I came up with.  I was pleased with the end result and hope that you are too!

Zucchini and Squash Soup

1 medium diced yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 serrano  chili, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cups diced or sliced zucchini and squash (I used some I had frozen.)
1 tsp dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp oregano
salt 
pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp butter (optional)

Saute the diced onion in the olive oil in a heavy pan for about 4 minutes.

Add in the serrano and garlic continuing to cook for another minute or two.

Dump in the zucchini and squash.  Mine was still frozen but that didn't matter one bit.  

Continue cooking until the veggies are beginning to soften (about 10 minutes or so).

Put in the spices, salt, and pepper.  Keep cooking until the herbs become fragrant (about 2 to 3 minutes).

Add in the chicken broth and continue cooking over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes.  This will allow all the flavors to blend.

After cooking, remove from the stove.  Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.  This will thicken the soup and give it that creamy consistency like a cream based soup but without all the calories.  If you don't have an immersion blender, blend in batches in a regular blender.  Just be careful - this stuff is HOT!

All done!  To finish it off, I did put two tablespoons of butter in the pot and stirred until it melted.  It just kinda took the soup to the next level.  

Note:  For those that do not like peppers, please feel free to omit the chili.  I like things a little spicy.  Removing the seeds and ribs will take some of the heat out.  I personally did not think this was too hot, but then again, I'm from Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment